Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Pest Control

by CityMom: Leanza Cornett Steines

Growing up in the Appalachian mountains, I somehow escaped the inevitable. Actually, now that I think about it, I escaped it no matter where I grew up since it seems that Head Lice is a universal, indiscriminating issue. As far as I know, and as far as my parents tell me, I never had lice. They could be sparing my pride on this one, since the highlight of my career thus far has had a lot to do with wearing a crown and that would just be ironic, wouldn't it? Anyway, the subject and concern of lice has eluded me in my own life, luckily. However, as the mother of two boys I have been schooled on the fact that it can happen anytime, anywhere, to anyone.

Case in point: a few years ago, when Youngest was still in pre-school, I received a rather upsetting email from the school's director saying that there had been an "outbreak" of lice with a few of the other students. Envisioning a movie-style Andromeda Strain kind of pandemic, I went into full panic mode and bought not one, not two, but THREE kits which promised to rid us of any and all bugs. There were explicit instructions, of course...combing, washing, drying, conditioning, combing again, washing again, anti-lice solution. On top of that, I was supposed to wash pillows, sheets, stuffed animals, clothes...wipe down my car, and virtually anything my child's head may or may not have touched. Not to mention going through the entire routine with Oldest, lest he be infected as well. I felt like I was in the middle of that scene from E.T. The Extra Terrestrial where the guys in the suits and vacuum sealed vans come to examine the alien.

As it turned out, Youngest didn't have "The Lice" as my friend Sue's mom liked to say, God rest her soul. However, I DID have the heebie-jeebies and have never quite gotten over the compulsive itching anytime I see a fleck of dandruff. Oh dear...chills down my spine just writing about it.

I bring this little story up because today, in an odd conversation with a friend of mine, the subject of lice came up. I know...very odd. Seems her kid got The Lice and she, like me, was in panic mode over the whole thing. So she did what every good mom living in Los Angeles does. She called the HAIR WHISPERERS. Oh yes...there is such a thing. Look it up. Go ahead. Google it...Hair Whisperers, Los Angeles, Lice. Those are your key words.

That's not all. The Hair Whisperers have competition. There is yet another rid-your-kid-of-lice place in LA called the HAIR FAIRIES. I'm sure there are others but these are the two I've been made aware of. Both boast of being the best at "nit-picking" and getting rid of any and all critters in your kid's head and your household. I'm not sure of the cost, because it isn't posted on the website, but they also offer a mobile service, just in case you happen to be the type of person who doesn't want to be seen walking into such a place. I imagine no one does, but in LA that can be a deal-breaker, I'm sure.

Funny thing is this: my friend ended up using the services of her very own nanny, who'd seen and experienced this problem many times before and got rid of the lice with her own solutions, routines and potions. And then, you know what? My friend saw a wonderful opportunity for her nanny and went for it. So now her nanny has a little side business...HAIR TODAY GONE TOMORROW. For half the price of those other places, she goes and gets those bugs and everyone is critter-free.

If the you-know-what hits the fan and I find myself or my loved ones itching, I know who to call. Gotta love Los Angeles.

No comments:

Post a Comment