Sunday, April 11, 2010

Worms

Today my husband and I cleaned out our flower beds. The beds were in such bad shape that we have had to plan out the project in phases. Phase I is the Digging Phase. We had such an infestation of dandelions that we just decided it was easier to dig everything out and start over. And, as a result of completing Phase I today, I have decided that dandelions are the Devil's flower. They are awful. They are impossible to pull up so you have to dig them out. And this means that I have to touch dirt and worms. In case you don't know me, I am not fond of worms.

But Mountain Child is apparently incredibly fond of them. I am surprised by this because normally Mountain Child doesn't like getting anything dirty on her hands, and she thinks everything is gross. But worms are the exception in her PinkSparklyPrincess world.

"Oh, look! I have dug up some worms! Wanna see them?"

"WORMS?!?! YES. I WANT TO SEE THEM."

I show her the worms, which I do not touch. Our dirt is full of them, and they are crawling all over the soil that I have just freshly dug up. She gingerly touches one and pulls her hand away quickly. She looks thoughtfully at the worms and decides to pick it up.

"I WANT TO TAKE CARE OF HIM."

"Like as your pet?"

"I WANT TO SLEEP WITH HIM."

"You can't sleep with a worm. You'll squish him."

"I WANT TO SLEEP WITH HIM, MOMMY! HE IS MY BABY!"

"Oh, what is his name?"

She doesn't answer and walks off talking her new worm friend. I continue working on digging out dandelions. A few moments later, she returns.

"I WANT TO EAT THE WORM."

"We don't eat worms. We just look at them. In fact, put him back in the dirt. That is his home."

"MOMMY! THIS WORM IS MINE!!!! THIS WORM IS A GIRL WORM!!!!" Mountain Child begins to cry and runs inside the house. In the confusion, she has dropped the worm on the sidewalk. I take a stick and transport him back into the dirt.

Oh, and where was the Mountain Man in this whole scenario? Well, he actually went to hit golf balls and then returned to pick up the next digging shift. The worm incident happens when he was gone, of course. I tell him later and he doesn't even believe me.

After everything calmed down, Montain Child asks if she can play with the worms tomorrow. I guess we will bring the ketchup, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment